Monday, April 24, 2017

Licensing and Permitting


City of Huntsville Inspection Department

Building Permit

  • Each Sub needs a permit (Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing, Gas). These are included in overall Building Permit process
  • 15 days for initial Design Review
  • 3 to 4 weeks for approval
  • Permit fee is Total Construction Amount x .0055


More Information »



City of Huntsville Engineering Department

Site & Grading Permit

  • Civil drawings routed to Traffic Engineering, then Zoning, then the Engineering Department
  • No fee for the Site & Grading Permit
  • 1 week for approval

A Sewer Tap Fee of $1,000 is required unless the company is having the sewer extended


More Information »



City of Huntsville Department of Natural Resources & Environmental Management

  • Air Permit
  • 60-120 days
  • Fee based on level of review (Chapter 3 of Huntsville Air Pollution Control Regulations)


More Information »



Alabama Department of Environmental Management

  • Sewer Discharge Permit  60-90 days
  • Storm Water Discharge Permit  60-90 days
  • Hazardous Waste Generator ID 15-30 days
  • Fees based on level of review


More Information »



Business License

Madison County

The State of Alabama and Madison County require all persons, firms, or corporations that engage in or transact any trade, business, commerce, occupation, vocation, or profession for gain or profit to pay a license fee. You may need a State License, a Madison County License, or a combination of the two depending on the nature of your business. You should obtain a business license prior to opening your business. License fees are determined by the exact nature and type of your business. You should contact the Madison County License Department for more information. Some licenses require State Regulatory Permits in order to issue, such as auto dealers, food establishments, and air conditioning contractors. For a new business or a new location of an existing business, you must contact the Madison County License Department at 256-532-3323, 3314, or 3316. Be prepared to give a detailed description of the type of business you will be conducting. This will determine the types of licenses required.

More Information »

City of Huntsville

City of Huntsville A business license obtained from the City of Huntsville is required for: Commercial Based Businesses in the City of Huntsville Residential Based Business in the City of Huntsville Businesses not physically located in Huntsville if any of the following apply:

  • Sales reps or employees solicit business in Huntsville
  • Deliveries made in to Huntsville via company owned or leased vehicles
  • Personal property leased in Huntsville
  • Repair, maintenance, construction or installation services performed in Huntsville 

For a detailed listing of business licenses by industry and business type (PDF) »

More Information »